Friday, February 6, 2009

Richard J

Mark's best friend Richard from grade school on up called him today. I need to tell you about this family. When Mark & I were first married we used to think about Richard and Sandra a lot. Richard was very successful in selling just about anything. He sold stereo stuff, and many other things. He went into Real Estate. Successful even more. They bought a house in the "Yale" area. Anyone from SLC knows this area. It is very prestigious to live there. They always drove a new Mercedes car. They had the best furniture, the best clothes, etc. Sandra and I took Golf lessons and played Golf every Friday for years. We drove an old station wagon. We had a simple house. We had used furniture we bought at garage sales. We never had much money to buy "fancy" clothes. The four of us went out together at least once a month. Our kids played with each other. Well, one day out of the blue..Sandra said she didn't want to be married anymore. We were in complete shock. Sandra filed for divorce...I mean it was so fast..our jaws dropped. Well, things went downhill....Sandra remarried..the last time we saw her she was selling billiard tables at some store in Midvale. Richard remarried then divorced. Richard became depressed big time...well he ended up in a drug rehab..he met Jan. They married. Jan just got arrested for felony bad check writing....she just got out of rehab again. Richard had to file for BK because he can't seem to earn the income he used to. Richard doesn't talk very clearly anymore. He has slurred speech. Richard and Jan moved in with her parents. Richard has lost everything. Sandra is not the person she used to be. Richard and Sandra had three kids. Jenny, Joel & Jocelyn. Richard called Mark today to tell him Joel committed suicide in Nov.2008. Jenny's husband died a few years ago. Jocelyn has a son about 14 years old, never married. Richard's mother used to teach some of our girls piano. Mark & I comment all the time...I wonder how life would have turned out for this family if only Sandra hadn't started all this....it is a real shame. They had everything going for them.

3 comments:

  1. There's always more to a story--maybe Sandra had good reasons for leaving. Regardless of who started the whole downhill mess, this is a very sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very sad story and sad that we see how rough life can be. Maybe that's why we don't live in glass houses. Thanks for sharing, and glad you hadn't left Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sad for their family. I always like their kids. I can't imagine having one of your kids commit suicide. So sad!

    ReplyDelete