Friday, December 4, 2009

My neighbor dies

I have had this neighbor, Howard Hayward, Sr. for 4 1/2 years now. He died today. I had been checking on him about every other day for about 6 months now. He was 85. He was diagnosed with colon cancer and needed a heart by-pass about Spring of 2008. His sister, Donna lives a couple doors down from him. His sister, Ada (she's a nurse) lives down the street as well. They had told me he had colon cancer. The doctors said there was no reason to do the heart by-pass.....he would die within 2 years. They never told him he was going to die. I would go and greet him after each of his doctors visit. He would always give me a big hug. He was always optimistic. He never knew how sick he really was. He also has a son, Mike who lives with him. Mark and I took some Costco sandwiches and some "Clementine" oranges to the family to enjoy during this difficult time. I gave Mike a big hug.....and told him I will miss his dad! The viewing is Tuesday..no funeral..10:00 to 11:00 at the church. I will miss Howard...he always watched out for me.....he was a great neighbor!

2 comments:

  1. That is so sad. I'm not sure I'd want my family to keep that information from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad, but at least he had your smile to brighten his days. Ignorance is bliss? Not sure about this...

    ReplyDelete