Monday, November 9, 2009

Linda Smith Update

Mark and I called Linda tonight. She still has several blood clots in each lung. She has to sleep with oxygen. She's had to go to a few doctors the last few weeks. She had to see a pulmonary one as well as a cardiololgist. We both commented on how doctors now a days are "referring" patients to other doctors.....the news and the internet is saying it used to be just drug companies getting kick backs for referrals...hmmmmm..now they get kick backs if they send us to another doctor...SCAM!!!
Anyway I guess she has 2 options...surgery in San Diego to remove the clots...or a drug that costs $30K a year..that's $2500 a month. I told her how Stacie got her prescription company to help with the cost...
The medication that was supposed to halt the cancer has caused the clots...she's one of the 1.2% or something that has complication...namely blood clots.....
Linda's really worried she will have to quit her job because she cannot be on oxygen at work. Her doctor is hoping if she uses it at night that she might be okay.....wow...I think she said her diagnosis is pulmonary hypertension....
She's a real trooper! She has had these blood clots for 2 years this February. The drug she was taking and has since decided to quit taking .....is called Femara..its a hormone blocker.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place!! Dang money-grubbing drug companies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease--a doctor once told me this. I hope she can find something to fix the problem.

    ReplyDelete