Thursday, March 4, 2010

Linda Smith-Day 11-Surgery Day

Email from Duane:
What a day. It wasn't until 5:30 that I was able to see Linda in ICU. I wasn't prepared for that. Even though we were told what to expect it doesn't really sink in until you see it for real. So many machine's, wires, tubes, and monitors all beeping, whirling, and making there own sounds. I am glad the nurse that is attending her knows what it all means. She will have one on one care for the the next 24 hours and for that I am glad. The surgery went well. The surgeon said they were able to get all of the clots. When we met last week they said some might be in an area they couldn't get to but would know more when they got in. The pressure in her pulmonary veins are already at a normal range so with some time to heal she should regain a normal lung function. I wish we could have done this closer to home so everyone that has offered prayers in her behalf could see the fruits of those prayers. This whole experience has been an answer to MANY prayers and for that we thank you. They are going to start to wake her up on Friday and see how she does with the ventilator in but breathing on her own. If all goes well they will start taking things out and get her sitting up in bed and sucking on ice chips at that time. From there she will go to a regular room for about a week or so depending on how she does. Again thanks to everyone for their love and concern. I am going to take the advise of the doctors and have something to eat and call it a night. As I was driving back from the hospital I was thinking how hungry I was and didn't really go out by myself and get something to eat when I got here to the Bannister House. I was met by one of the other families that is going through the same thing as we are but a week ahead of us and ask if I would join them for dinner. This place has been a great support system away from family and friends. I took some pictures in pre-op this morning but the camera is out in the car so I'll get them to you later. Thanks again, Duane

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Reading this really put it in perspective. Thankful for the doctors' good work!

    ReplyDelete