Monday, June 21, 2010
Former knee patients
Today I re-read all the paperwork so I am ready for Friday's surgery. I have to get a thermometer, non-slid slippers and non-slid shoes for physical therapy. Mark had me try his slippers on...too big. I went to Walmart....I know I am going to the hospital and all but I hated the slippers at Walmart.....I guess I am more vain that I thought! I gathered up all my treats, thermometer, etc. for the checkout process. The clerk has a big black deal on her knee and is leaning on a cane. I asked her what happened...one new knee. She was back to work after 7 weeks. She is still in a lot of pain. It has been 3 months since the surgery.....she said she refused to have the second knee done. She is going to do the other when she retires. Hmmm....Mark called his old golfing buddy, Russ North (our Sheetrock guy who has done several homes for us & kids), etc. He had one knee done last fall. He said it was three months before he went back to work. He said he asked himself "what was I thinking when I said I would have this operation done?"(two weeks following his operation...). He said he didn't know how anyone could have a second knee done 2 weeks later. He is waiting to have his other knee done. He has been pain free for 5 months. He said he is glad he had it done. He said I could call him if I get discouraged over the next few months....He was so cute!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow...the "pain free" part is an incentive, but their thoughts of wondering what they were thinking or waiting for the second one, makes you wonder. Guess you gotta believe in your Dr. We only wish you the best. With your can-do attitude, you'll be their poster-patient of sucess.
ReplyDeleteWell, if it hurts too much at two weeks, just buck up and go back in. If you're in pain for three or four months with one knee, you may as well be in pain that long with two knees. Why stretch it out? Just kidding! I'm hyperventilating just thinking about what you're going to do! :O)
ReplyDelete