Mark and I went Tuesday, the 15TH to meet with Dr. Smith's assistant. He works right along side Dr. Smith during surgery. I really liked him. It's always amazing to me some of the nicest assistant's some doctors have. This guys name is Steve. He spent about an hour with us. He really listened to some of my concerns. I feel like a big baby. The operation Linda Smith had was a whole lot more horrendous than this. Mark kept telling me to quit looking at the internet about knee replacements. I keep reading remarks like "I would never do this again", "they did one knee and I won't let them do the other", etc.etc.etc. Wow!
Today was the 2 hour pre-op class. It ended up being 2 1/2 hours. They had a nurse come and direct the class. She told us what to expect. She showed slides of people "smiling" the day after surgery. I wonder if they got compensation. Whatever...Anyway, she showed several "smiling" patients on a chair, on a recumbent bike and a few different machines that will help strengthen our muscles around the new joints. She showed us a chart of "faces" with numbers showing our degree of pain. The first one of course with a real smile....clear to a scream of pain look. All numbered. This is what we will be shown to help the nurses control our pain. The nurse told us what drugs we will be given for pain. Mainly Morphine. Oxycontin. Percocet. Lortab. She also told us we couldn't shave for 5 days prior to surgery. We can't have even a pin scratch of any kind or the surgery will be pushed back. No infection. No sickness. Of course I felt like I have had a sinus infection coming on....I had to go to the doctor's office and have a prescription called into Walgreen's. She gave each of us a package of Hibiclens soap and a sponge to bathe with the night before and the morning of surgery. We need a toilet riser (Kerby already told me this). We will have a walker and an exercise machine delivered to our house after surgery.
Next, one of the physical therapist that will be working with us came and showed us the "joint" and how it works. He told us what to bring to wear for the rehab. Some in the group will go to a rehab center for 5 to six days after surgery. Some like me, will have in home physical therapists and nurses that come visit 3 days a week.
Next we had a pharmacist come and explain the drugs. We were given a list of foods that counter act with the warfarin (coumadin-blood thinner) to ward off blood clots after surgery.
The first knee will be done Friday, June 25TH. The second on Monday, July 12TH. Mark's friend is coming to St.George to golf that weekend. He will golf 36 holes in Mesquite the 24TH. I asked him if he could golf somewhere near the hospital on the 26TH. I would rather he golf than sit and watch me sleep, moan or whatever. Life should be good after I get the new knees! I have already told some of the grandkids I want to go to Disneyland!
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The miracles of modern medicine is never ending. "You'll do great!" We'll bring u a latte in recovery....
ReplyDeleteHopefully you will be in less pain after this and feel like a new woman! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to hikes and bike rides with you!
ReplyDelete