Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Health Screening

Wow, I guess when you get to be 50 and older you have a lot of health issues to watch for. Well, I have a "Health Screening" on Wed. Oct. 29th. This should be interesting. I will have four tests. The first will check for atherosclerosis (plaque buildup...you know cholesterol and calcium) on my artery walls. The second test I will have will check for an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. This is caused by atherosclerosis (plaque buildup). They say people have no symptoms. The third test is a 6-lead EKG. ( I have had several in years passed.) This test checks for Atrial Fibrillation. This is another test for stroke. Test number four will test for Peripheral Arterial Disease (plaque build up in the arms and legs). With my fathers history of heart disease and stroke as well as my own health issues these tests are very important to me. I am glad my daughters are exercising everyday...wow I have told them to take care of their bodies. Exercise, weight control, healthy eating, etc. is critical. I grew up on spam, hash, fried cheese, etc. My daughters are so much more aware of what is in boxes, bags of chips, canned items. Its not just the zero trans fat that is the issue. I am learning a whole new way of eating from them. I have already apologized to them for all the fried wontons, egg rolls, fried bread, etc. I cooked for them growing up. It sure did taste good though!

4 comments:

  1. I hope all the tests go well! You are doing so good exercising every day! I need to get back in the habit! I enjoyed all those egg rolls, fried breads, wontons etc.!! Don't knock it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, hope you studied hard. Let us know the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fried cheese,fish sticks and fried bread (with lots of syrup or honey) was so good! Yum yum! There was also the asbestos we inhaled while hanging out at Ned's brake shop and our schools that had it in their ceilings. Getting x-rays was a regular occurence and nobody thought to cover our "private" areas to protect them from radiation damage. There was also mercury fillings in our teeth and some medications that they've now taken off the market because of the birth defects they caused. It's a wonder we even reached the age of 50! Glad you're getting the test done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had fried scones and bacon for dinner. Sounds like maybe I should go in and get those tests! Glad you are up and running on your blog. Congrats on all the exercising you are doing. Good work!

    ReplyDelete