Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Proposition 8 in California
I thought you might be interested in what I have seen on TV, in Salt Lake City, Ut lately. I have seen families (1000's) demonstrating against the LDS Church's stand on Prop. 8 in California. These are active LDS families (the ones interviewed said this) with gay children, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, mothers, fathers, cousins, etc. They are asking that people everywhere start opening up their minds and hearts to EVERYONE that might be different than you or me. If you could have seen the mother's emotional comments that only a mother could show, you would understand what I am saying. One mother (gray hair-60 maybe) said she has a gay son and a gay daughter. These are the same babies we gooed and gawed (is this a word?) over at birth. We have watched them grow up. They may even have played with our neighbors...imagine that! They are still human beings with feelings. They may have attended our Faith/Church of choice. We have attended school with these "gay" people. I admire these people for standing up for their beloved gay family members. Why do we even have to address "gay"rights? They should have the same rights/benefits we all have. Whatever our belief is about same sex marriage is our own business. I saw a commercial that shows two young men with ties knocking on a door, showing some kind of official looking credentials. They push their way into the living room of two "gay women's" home and tear the marriage certificate in half. This topic has truly divided communites everywhere. The next time any of us think of the term "gay", please just think of the families that are being shunned as these families on TV explained. I admire them for standing up for what is right!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Well said! It is tough to see such discrimination over this issue. It will be interesting to see where all this ends up.
ReplyDeleteDitto! I liked it much better when "gay" referred to "happy." Do you suppose the gays just want to be happy in life, like the rest of us?
ReplyDeleteWell said Mom! It is pushing me over the edge here in California. I just believe everyone should have equal rights.
ReplyDelete