Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I learned something NEW today!

We have had this home in Washington for just a little over 5 years now. I have "pest control" through a professional St. George Company. Yep, we have cockroaches, tarantulas, desert rats, earwigs and whatever else might be hiding in the rock landscape. I have had the same cute guy do my spraying for the last 5 years. Last month he didn't come to do the spraying because he had just delivered his third child "at home". No midwife and no Doctor. I could hardly wait to see him today. Of course I wanted to know ALL about his "at home delivery". He and his wife prefer to do everything natural. Organic food, etc. No Doctors or hospitals. He does not "spray" his house with pesticide. Hmmm....I asked if I should be worried about the chemicals he was spraying.....in MY house and yard. He laughed and I did too! I asked him if he was an EMT...nope!
They both researched "at home births". Actually his wife worked for a midwife in Holladay that delivered Camille's baby, Carli two years ago. Camille said her birth was the best ever! No hospital just a birthing center with a midwife. Yes I was worried....but everything turned out great!
This cute couple bought a stethoscope and a weighing "sling" they hung from the ceiling. (for birth weight) The first baby they had born in a tub of water. The second baby born in part water. This baby was born on their bed.
I asked him how do you get a birth certificate? Easy. There is a form you complete and mail in to receive the Birth Certificate. They ask the weight and length. He said something about the heartbeat count, etc. She did not have any prenatal care by a Doctor. They monitored the heart beat, size, etc. He said he was her Douala. I asked him about vaccinations....nope they don't believe in those either. After all the autism statistics I have to agree with "partial" vaccinations. I really enjoyed learning all about this experience! Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I admire their willingness to do it on their own but question the logic. I would have been a wreck if we tried that. Maybe 'next time'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no way I would ever have done this!

    ReplyDelete